Agored Cymru has in conjunction with the youth work sector developed youth work qualifications at Level 2 and 3. The qualifications increase the stability of the Welsh youth work workforce development strategy and the Coherent Route for Youth Work Training in Wales. They promote diversity and retention within the workfroce by increasing accessibility to learning and training eg for part-time learners and volunteers. The qualifications build on existing learning and provide progression opportunities for learners. They can be delivered in a range of settings such as the workplace, distance learning, RPL, Higher Education Institutations and the Voluntary Sector and supports and maintains a high quality and skilled Welsh youth work workforce. They reflect and bolster Welsh strategy drivers including the National Youth Service Strategy for Wales, and promote opportunities for further work-based learning.
First Graduates of the Agored Cymru Youth Work Qualifications with Huw Lewis A.M. Deputy Minister for Children
Both qualifications were developed through engagement with and coordinated by:
- A representative Steering Group from the youth work sector
- Through wider consultation with the youth work sector at key development milestones
- Through briefings with the Welsh Assembly Government Youth Work Workforce Development Group and its members
- With initial engagement with ETS Wales and an Observer within the Qualification Development Steering Group
- With agreement and briefings with LLUK
The Level 3 Certificate in Youth Work is 24 credits. Four units and their assessment materials have been developed:
- Understanding Youth Work (6 credits)
- Understanding Intervention Strategies in Youth Work (6 credits)
- Placement Practice in Youth Work (6 credits)
- Understanding Skills in Practice Placement in Youth Work (6 credits)
The Level 2 Award in Youth Work is 12 credits. Three units and their assessment materials have been developed:
- Safeguarding Young People in a Youth Work Context (3 credits)
- Understanding Youth Work Skills and Knowledge (3 credits)
- Youth Work Knowledge and Skills in Placement (6 credits)
|Accreditation Start Date||Accreditation End Date||Certification End Date|
|Level 2 Award||01/02/2010||31/10/2013||31/10/2016||Qual Guide|
|Level 3 Certificate||01/02/2010||31/10/2013||31/10/2016||Qual Guide|
All the units in the above qualifications are mapped to the National Occupational Standards for Youth Work (2008) and the qualifications are endorsed by the Education and Training Standards Wales. The level 3 Certificate in Youth Work recognises the competencies required to be effective in the JNC recognised Youth Support Worker role; the level 2 Award in Youth Work does the same for the JNC recognised Assistant Youth Support Worker role.
More details of the qualifications can be found on the NDAQ website. Please follow the hyperlink below:
If you would like to know more about the qualification, please contact a member of the Business Development Team.