14-19 Learning Pathways: Learning Coach
The learning coach functions are an essential element within the 14-19 Learning Pathways policy. It is expected that a number of professionals such as teachers/tutors, learning support assistants, careers advisers and youth workers will deliver the various functions of learning coaching to young people focusing on maximising the young person’s ability to learn and maintaining their motivation to remain in learning.
The learning coach functions assist learners in identifying aspirations, setting goals and developing a Learning Pathway to meet them by:
- Developing the young person’s learning, motivational and engagement skills;
- Making better use of and developing their learning skills and styles;
- Maximising their development in a variety of areas of wider skills and intelligence, including emotional intelligence;
- Helping them to make informed and effective decisions regarding learner choices so as to enable them to achieve their potential;
- Providing appropriate transition support at key points of change during the 14-19 phase, including the move from more directed to self directed learning;
- Referring them to other learner support staff where appropriate.
The focus is therefore centred on developing learning skills.
Agored Cymru is working with WAG regarding the Learning Coach agenda and is a member of the Learning Coach Advisory Group. Agored Cymru has developed the the level 4 Certificate in Learning Coaching to enable learning providers to upskill and train staff to deliver the functions of learning coaching.
Units support a range of assessment methods that reflect the interactive nature of the training programme including the use of a reflective log or practice file. Module handbooks are also available.
Schools, colleges, training providers or others that wish to deliver these qualifications need to be Agored Cymru recognised centres. If you would like to find out more about working with Agored Cymru please complete a new business enquiry form - available on the website here. If you would prefer to ask about units and qualifications available, or have an informal chat before completing the form please ring 02920 747866 or 01248 670011 and ask for a member of the Business Development team.
Agored Cymru will provide ongoing support and advice on the use of Agored Cymru credit and qualifications including the requirements for assessment.
If you would like to discuss the strategic elements of the 14-19 education agenda for your organisation, please contact Dafydd Baker, Curriculum Development Manager (Learning Pathways)