Assessment, Verification and RPL in the Health and Care Sectors
Information about assessment, verification and RPL is available on the website in the centre handbook
Information about training events is available on the website www.agored.org.uk
- More than one assessor can be involved in assessing a learners’ achievement of units. This must be recordedon learner tracking records.
- Assessors of clinical skills or care giving, must be occupationally competent to do so. Specialist competence is specified on the units.
- Tutor observation/expert witness testimony of clinical skills will be acceptable evidence of achievement. (Stages of competence follow the Benner principles)
- All assessors must attend an assessor course either with Agored Cymru or ‘in house’. Attendance records must be kept by the Centre. Information about training events is available on the website www.agored.org.uk
Recognition of Prior Learning
- Although it is usual for Internal Verifiers to observe the assessment of practical tasks this will not take place in any clinical setting where the dignity and confidentiality of patients might be compromised, or where infection control, health and safety or vulnerability are issues, and never without the informed consent of , and anonymity of, the patient.
- In practice this means that the IV and EV will review the records of assessment only, since much clinical or care giving assessment will take place in patient’s homes or healthcare environments
- Centres with Approved Internal Verifiers will be able to hold Direct Claims Status. For further information please see section 7 of the centre handbook www.agored.org.uk/CentreHandbook
RPL is permissible so long as:
- there is enough evidence of achievement (sufficient)
- there is detailed mapping to the Agored unit (valid) ,
- there is certainty about the work being the learners own (authentic) ,
- there is recent enough achievement to still be fit for purpose, especially in clinical skills, (current). This can be confirmed by setting a written assessment or by tutor observation/ expert witness testimony
- there is confirmation by the assessor, monitoring by the IV and recording as RPL on the assessment tracking and IV documentation (transparent) .
- the AIV/EV reviews samples of, and records of, all achievement awarded by RPL (quality assured)